April 16, 2011

Top Ten Must Haves for Spring/Summer

Good morning kiddies,

For this week's top ten, I decided to put together the top ten list of must haves for Spring / Summer that would make a girl the very best fashionista they can be. 
Most of these top ten trends are things I am going to try and incorporate into my own wardrobe for Spring and Summer - except at an obviously less pricey level than the runway examples. So let's get started!

1. Tassel Belt: The tassel belt is something I really do like. It's easy to wear and can be found in a variety of different styles (see picture below and the gold Gucci belt further down). Many styles of this belt this season come from the 70s inspired trend. It's fun and flirty, but it can also be country. Like most accessories, a belt can really tie an outfit together. I say depending on your body type; just watch where you place the belt. It is always the most flattering right at your natural waistline. Also, for most tassel belts, do not tie them too tightly. Loose looks best for this look. 


Chris Benz Multi-Tassel Belt. Photo Source: Accessories Fashionsnoops.com



2. Oversized clutch:  There are a million different styles for this essential this season. I adore a good clutch and this oversized style is great. You can fit everything you need into it - rather than stuffing your necessities into the tiny little purse you used to take out with you. I love all the different looks too from flirty (see Eva Mendes' Prada beauty) to a more business look (something that looks like it should fit papers rather than lipstick) to more practical (see the Natalia Brilli black clutch below).  I am definitely going to look around consignment stores (as well as my grandma and mum's closet) for one! I like the idea of finding something authentic and retro.

Eva Mendes with Prada Clutch. Photo Source: Cheap Chica`s Guide to Style.


Natalia Brilli Clutch. Photo Source: Fashion Press Release.



3. Gold Accessories: Bangles, multi-layer chains, belts (Gucci is rockin the gold tassel belt). I love this gold jewelry trend. It is so bright and happy and shiny. It looks great on almost anyone. I used to never wear gold at all, but this season has changed my mind! I will definitely be buying some more gold accessories very soon!




Gold Bangles worn by the lovely L. Suzy Shier.


Alexander McQueen Spring 2011. Photo Source: Style.com


I will not even bother to ask if this bag is hot or not. It is the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen practically. I want, I want, I want!! Is it a clutch, is it a piece of jewelry? ITS BOTH!! Just beautiful. The sparkle, the gold, the skulls!!! My gosh I think I am in love :)

4. Cat-Eye Sunglasses: The latest trend in sunglasses this season are the cat-eye sunglasses. There are a variety of different styles from very dramatic and colourful (see the photos below) and the slight cat-eye with more of a old time Hollywood feel. While I think the cat-eye sunglasses look is high drama and fun, it is not my favorite. I love my larger than life framed sunglasses. Maybe I could find a pair that are large with only a slight cat-eye. I really think I will stick with cat-eyeliner instead...


Photo Source: Fashion Fame.com


5. Platform sandals: This is one trend this season I am not crazy about. I much prefer a daintier more sleek looking shoe like a pointed stiletto or ballet flat. I like to use a car metaphor when thinking about shoes. Would I rather drive a sleek speedy Porsche or a monster muscle-y Chevy Truck?

Regardless of my personal feelings, this is a huge trend this season and the fashionista in me knows I probably need to buy a pair. There are a million different styles to choose from: platform heels like in the picture below; clogs, cork heel, flat platforms.  I think the importance in the platform look is to choose a sandal and not a boot platform. That is starting to look way too retro.

A great way to wear platforms is under wide leg pants (another big trend this season). It really helps the pants look like they are falling naturally and the heels platforms add height to a look ,which really screams for the need to be tall to pull it off.

I, particularly like the Yves St-Laurent ones below. I like the colour and print and the shape is pleasing due to the rounded quality of both the heel and the front. Also check out the model wearing them on the runway.


Yves St-Laurent Platforms Spring 2011. Photo source: cool spotters.com


Yves St-Laurent Spring/Summer. Photo Source: Style.com




Derek Lam Spring 2011. Photo Source: Style.com


I think I found a few contenders for my wardrobe. I love these Derek Lam shoes in particular and I could wear them to work.


Alejandro Ingelmo. Photo Source: Style.com



I might have found the closest thing to a Porsche in a platform shoe as I can! I love, love, love these!

6. 70s inspired Maxi Dress: This is probably my favorite trend this season.  Everywhere you look on the runway, you see 70s inspired clothes and in particular the maxi dress. From Anna Sui and Pucci below to Roberto Cavalli, Marc Jacobs and Louis Vuitton, they are everywhere. The 70s inspired maxi dress can either be very country or prairie inspired - think the cowboy style of the 1970s with fringe, feathers, paisley, boots and gladiator sandals or a more disco glam look - think bold graphics, some with long-sleeves, Asian inspired prints and shiny, shiny. 

Designers seem to have updated the maxi dress from last summer. It has evolved from really - in my opinion - a beach cover-up to a dress with varying lengths and shapes that compliment all body types.  Many of the dresses are cinched at the natural waist or in a empire waist style (under the bust). Others with the more country look are designed closer to the body to accent the shape of the person wearing it. We still have many maxi dress styles that fall loose and flowy as well ,which helps to cover any imperfections (although none of us have any obvs!) Be warned, however, if you are curvy or plus sized, the really flowy maxi could end up with a moumou-esque feel! It is also interesting to note that the length of the maxi dress varies from mid-calf to the floor. I think this gives this style a fresh look.


Anna Sui Spring 2011. Photo Source:  Fashion Dress.net




Pucci Spring 2011. Photo Source: Become Gorgeous.com


Dolce and Gabbana. Spring 2011. Photo Source: Style.com






I will most definitely be searching for an affordable maxi dress. Probably one with a bit of cowboy / country flair to it!

For more 70s inspired fashion, check out my previous post.

7. High waisted, wide leg jeans: The wide-leg pant is popping up all over the runways. This look is coming out of the more loose fitted, casual style many designers are adopting for work casual wear. While a nice wide-leg dress pant is great, I am going to argue the wide-leg jean is more crucial to the spring/summer fashion conscious individual. Like most jeans, this pant is super versatile. It can be worn with a dress shirt or blouse for work (see picture below) or with a fun flirty going out top. It could even be worn with a t-shirt or sweater for a Saturday afternoon movie.  I just think you will get more use out of a wide-leg jean and it will fit effortlessly into your wardrobe. If you can get more than one pair of wide-leg pant, go for a work pant as well!

This is a look I love and always wish to emulate. Alas, I do not have a tall, willowy body  (like the lovely B) to wear such a look to full advantage. (B owns a pair of dark jeans and looks fabulous in them!). I guess I could wear very high heels to create an illusion of height and willowy-ness, but I don't think I would be fooling anyone. The skinny jean or a slight flare is more flattering for me unfortunately.


Derek Lam Spring 2011. Photo Source: Style.com




8. Colour, Colour, Colour: This is a HUGE trend this season. Almost all designers had at least one piece of colour in their collections. The most popular shades are jewel tones and fluorescents in hot pink, red, orange, yellow, blue, purple and green. The biggest look in this trend is to colour block - wear 2 or more bright colours together, whether different shades of the same colour or opposing colours like emerald green and bright orange.

As much as I am totally a black-a-holic when it comes to clothes, when I saw this trend, I got excited. If  I could go back in time and high-five my grade two self, I would. Neon colours are in style. Bright is back, baby, I would say. I will most definitely be looking to incorporate more colour into my wardrobe. My dream is to find a pair of emerald green cigar or tapered pant!

For more ideas, check out my previous post on colour.


Gucci Spring 2011. Photo Source: Style.com






Prada Spring 2011. Photo Source: Style,com




9. Feminine Mini-Dress: The mini dress this season could not be anymore different than last year's mini dress. Instead of sexy and tight, designers decided to embrace a more boxy, loose, feminine shape. It screams Mia Farrow and Audrey Hepburn to me. What I like about them, like with the Maxi dresses, is that they are so simple to wear. Throw on some accessories and some cute flats or platforms and you have the look in the bag.

The different variations on the shape the designers are producing are flattering on all body types. For example, the gorge Stella fruit print below is to die for. It has  a nice loose, boxy shape, It would be ideal on someone slim whether tall or short. It would not, however, look good on someone with curves like me. I think it would make me look like a linebacker. The dresses that fall closer to the body while still having the feminine and loose shape, would serve better (see the Michael Kors and Calvin Klein below). These dresses are better for curvy bodies because they provide more contours to the dress which create a more feminine line that compliments the natural shape of the body.


Stella McCartney - Spring 2011. Photo Source: Style.com






Michael Kors Spring 2011. Photo Source: Style.com




Calvin Klein Spring 2011. Photo Source: Style.com




Chanel Spring 2011. Photo Source: Style.com




10. A Bold Print: This season it all about the bold print. Designers seem to favour a few prints in particular: Asian inspired, English Garden, animal and 70s. The English garden - basically flowers - is a much more delicate and feminine print. It is very pretty and dainty. (See Michael Kors blue dress above). There are some variations - see the Alexander McQueen below. This dress while dramatic, still has that dainty feel to the flowers. It also has some Asian fashion influences to it as well.

The Asian and animal prints are all about glamour and drama. The use the most of colour and contrast. (See the Louis Vuitton Maxi dresses below and the Blumarine animal print.) When it comes to animal print, I usually prefer the more natural look  - the more neutral colours. Coloured prints like the one below are also popping up. 

The 70s inspired print like the Etro flower print below (check out my 70s fashion blog post for more examples) can play up either the high drama or the soft feminine of this season. It all depends on how the designer used colour and a print to accentuate one over the other.

Personally, I love all the prints, although I think the Vuitton dresses look more 80s than anything. It reminds me of that really horrible design trend in the 80s where people would have pink walls and black glossy furniture and all those horrible Asian inspired vases with flowers on them in that neon pink colour. Hideous! I do really like the shape of the dress on the left though. Very pretty.


Louis Vuitton Asian Inspired Prints. Photo Source: Fashion Dress.net


Etro Floral Maxi Dress - Spring 2011. Photo Source: Style.com




Alexander McQueen Spring 2011. Photo Source: Style.com


Blumarine Spring 2011. Photo Source: Style.com

There you have it. My essential list of items for the fashion conscious diva. I think it is important to remember that you do not need to pay a fortune for a trendy item. I believe that it is very important to invest in fashion, in particular items that are timeless, like a great suit or little black dress or gorge work pump. For something like a tassel fringed maxi dress that will only be wonderful this season, however, I recommend shopping somewhere less expensive, like H&M or Forever 21. I actually really love a place like Zellers too. They have nice stylish things and especially if I only care about it being okay for one season, I do not mind spending 12 bucks on a top. 

What do you think lovelies? Does your heart flutter at the sight of the Alexander McQueen clutch as mine does?  Are you eyeing a gorge pair of wide-leg pants or a prairie inspired Maxi dress? Or do you hate clunky clogs and dream of the day the Porsche or better known as the stiletto will come back in style? Tell me your thoughts on my essentials list.

xxx


----




Researched via Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, Glamour, Elle and InStyle.

1 comment:

  1. Love the Alexander McQueen clutch - and the fact that it has a brass knuckle grip - such an awesome (and functional) edge to an otherwise very delicate and feminine piece.

    Porsche-esque heels = SO hot. Definitely my faves.

    Not a big fan of any of the maxis, but don't mind the Pucci one. Maybe if it were a little less billowy though... I bought a couple maxi dresses last summer but never wore them... maybe this year is their time! They do both have a bold print, so could be 2 fashion birds with one stone!

    ReplyDelete