March 10, 2011

How I am Feeling Right Now




Since watching Glee on Tuesday (or better known as the day I freaked out about my life), I have been obsessively thinking about the song Landslide (originally by Fleetwood Mac). Last night, I downloaded three versions of it. I think it is hard not to make a beautiful version of this song but, my fav is definitely the Fleetwood Mac version. 

I feel like with not knowing what I am doing with my life and being slightly afraid of change, this song really speaks to where I am in my life.

Here are the lyrics: 

I took my love, took it down
Climbed a mountain and I turned around
And I saw my reflection in the snow covered hills
'til the landslide brought it down
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing' ocean tides?
Can I handle the season of my life?


Well I've been afraid of changin'
'cause I've built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Even children get older
And I'm getting older too

Oh, take my love, take it down
Climb a mountain and turn around

And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well the landslide will bring me down

And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well the landslide will bring it down
The landslide will bring it down

Written by Stevie Nicks.
(bolded sections added by me)

Here is a video of the band performing the song in 2004. 


When it comes to music, I think it is the writer / appreciator of writing in me , but lyrics and the way the singer presents them is always the most important thing for me. The music sound itself is also very important but once that is good, I look for what the singer is saying and what it makes me feel. It is the best kind of poetry. And Stevie just kills it. This is such a beautiful, authentic song. I love how she is still singing it for him even years after no longer being together.

 The bolded sections of the lyrics are the parts that really get me. I think I am having issues getting older -  many of my friends are turning the big 2-5 over the next month and it is freaking me out. I thought I would have so many more things figured out by now and I just have more questions. While I realise that is the way life is and huge cliche (I hate being a cliche!!), I still stress about it. I wish I could go back to when I was 18 with what I know now. I would do so many things I did not do. I don't regret anything I did or did not do, I just might allow myself to have more experiences.

Sorry for all the self-reflection kiddies. It is where I am right now. I will have more fun things soon!

xxx




Picture of Fleetwood Mac from http://www.amoeba.com/dynamic-images/blog/Sarah/ fleetwoodmac1.jpg
Lyrics from http://www.lyrics.com/landslide-lyrics-fleetwood-mac.html 

1 comment:

  1. Fleetwood Mac is my all-time favourite band. And you're right, the Stevie Nicks version of this song is the best - so powerful and full of emotion. I saw her perform it live and I had tears.

    Keep your chin up darling!

    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete