March 09, 2011

Work, Work, Work

Job security is so not an overrated thing. Let me tell you.

I had a terrible day yesterday when it comes to jobs. The renewal of my contract position covering a mat leave is STILL up in the air. Boo! And then a job I interviewed for that I really wanted I did not get. It had career potential and was actually a permanent position. The woman who interviewed me said I did well on the interview and test but, she was offering the position to someone else. Double boo!!

All around yesterday sucked in my work world. I really need a job and to start saving money. I want some money (and job) security so I can figure out my life - or more accurately, what I am going to do with my life. I was also hoping that job could help me figure out what I want to do by giving me the opportunity to work in a field of interest for me. Finding my current job was difficult enough in this economy and now it might not be renewed. bah! I am a tad stressed.

Anyway, to finish off, and to make myself laugh (and hopefully you), I am going to tell you a story about my worst interview. I was interviewing for a technical support position. I have worked in technical support before but it was very simple, level one technical support - helping customers reconnect their internet or fix any little glitches. I assumed this position would be the same considering I had made no exaggerations about my skill level on my resume.

I headed to the interview in a downtown office. I was interviewed by two people - one person who was from HR and one person who was clearly a very technical person. The tech person asked me a variety of questions I could not answer at all. At one point, I said, "I am not sure. I guess I would google it." The HR person thought that was a good answer, but the tech guy LAUGHED OUT LOUD!! It was awful, but I left laughing. I obviously did not get the job!

I still think people should not underestimate the power of google. I solve tons of problems googling!

Well I hope if any of you are having work or job search issues,  this little story made you smile.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment